21. Huntingford C, Atkin OK, Martinez-de la Torre A, Mercado L, Heskel MA, Harper A, Bloomfield K, O’Sullivan O, Reich PB, Wythers K, Butler E, Chen M, Griffin KL, Meir P, Tjoelker MG, Turnbull MH, Sitch S, Wiltshire A, Mahli Y. Implications of improved representations of plant respiration in a changing climate. Nature Communications, Accepted in October 2017.
20. Liang, L, Arcus V, Heskel MA, O’Sullivan O, Weerasinghe L, Creek D, Egerton J, Tjoelker M, Atkin OK, Schipper L. (2017) Macromolecular rate theory (MMRT) provides a thermodynamics rationale to underpin the convergent temperature response in plant leaf respiration. Global Change Biology. Online early: 10.1111/gcb.13936
19. Tcherkez G, Gauthier P, Buckley T, Busch F, Barbour MM, Bruhn D, Heskel MA, Gong XY, Crous KY, Griffin KL, Way DA, Turnbull MH, Adams M, Atkin OK, Farquhar GD, Cornic G. (2017) Leaf day respiration: low CO2 flux but high significance for metabolism and carbon balance. New Phytologist. Online early. doi: 10.1111/nph.14816
18. Yang H, Yang X, Heskel MA, Sun S, Tang J. Seasonal variations of leaf and canopy properties tracked by ground-based NDVI imagery in a temperate forest. Scientific Reports. 7: 1267.
17. Prager C, Naeem S, Boelman N, Eital J, Greaves H, Heskel MA, Magney T, Menge D, Vierling L, Griffin KL. (2017) A gradient of nutrient
enrichment reveals non-linear impacts of fertilization on Arctic plant diversity and ecosystem function. Ecology & Evolution. 7(7):2449:2460.
16. Tcherkez G, Gauthier P, Buckley T, Busch F, Barbour MM, Bruhn D, Heskel MA, Gong XY, Crous KY, Griffin KL, Way DA, Turnbull MH, Adams M,
Atkin OK, Bender M, Farquhar GD, Cornic G. (2017) Tracking the origins of the Kok effect, 70 years after its discovery. New Phytologist. 214(2)506-510. doi: 10.1111/nph.14527
15. Yang H, Yang X, Zhang Y, Heskel MA, Lu X, Munger W, Sun S, Tang J. Chlorophyll fluorescence tracks seasonal variations of photosynthesis from leaf to canopy in a temperate forest. Global Change Biology. 23(7):2874-2886. doi: 10.1111/gcb.13590
14. Carey JC, Tang J, Templer PH, Kroeger KD, Crowther TW, Burton AJ, Dukes JS, Emmet B, Frey SD, Heskel MA, Jiang L, Machnuller M, Mohan J, Panetta AM, Reich PB, Reinsch S, et al. (>20 authors). (2016) Temperature response of soil respiration largely unaltered with experimental warming. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 113 (48) 13797-13802 doi:10.1073/pnas.1605365113
13. Heskel MA, O’Sullivan OS, Reich PB, Tjoelker MG, Weerasinghe L, Penillard A, Egerton J, Creek D, Bloomfield K, Xiang J, Sinca F, Stangl Z, Martinez-de la Torre A, Griffin KL, Huntingford C, Hurry V, Meir P, Turnbull MH, Atkin OK. (2016) Reply to Adams et al.: Empirical versus process-based approaches to modelling temperature responses of leaf respiration. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 113 (41) doi: 10.1073/pnas.1612904113
12. O’Sullivan OS, Heskel MA, Reich PB, Tjoelker MG, Weerasinghe KWLK, Penillard A, Zhu L, Egerton JJG, Bloomfield KJ, Creek D, Bahar NHA, Griffin KL, Hurry V, Meir P, Turnbull MH, Atkin OK. (2016) Thermal limits of leaf metabolism across biomes. Global Change Biology. 23 (1) 209-223 doi: 10.1111/gcb.13477
11. Heskel MA, O'Sullivan OS, Reich PB, Tjoelker MG, Weerasinghe KWLK, Penillard A, Egerton JJG, Creek D, Bloomfield KJB, Xiang J, Sinca F, Stangl Z, Griffin KL, Hurry V, Meir P, Turnbull MH, Atkin OK. (2016) Convergence in the temperature response of leaf respiration across biomes and plant functional types. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, 113 (14) 3832:3837. DOI: 10.1073/pnas.1520282113
- ARC Centre of Excellence in Plant Energy Biology:The heat is on – researchers discover global patterns in plant responses to temperature
- Columbia University: Scientists Say Many Plants Don't Respond to Warming as Thought
- Selected for "Highlight - This week in PNAS"
- Global study backs Australian research on carbon, The Australian - March 22, 2016
- Plants adapt to climate change better than thought, Yahoo! News - March 22, 2016
- Scientists say many plants don't respond to warming as thought, Phys.org - March 21, 2016
- Plants Adapt to Climate Change Better Than Many Thought, Daily Mail - March 21, 2016
- Plants will adapt to global warming, pump out less carbon, Cosmos Magazine, March 23, 2016
- Scientists Say Plants Don’t Respond to Warming As Thought, Science Daily – March 21, 2016
- Many Plants Don’t Respond to Warming as Thought, SciFeeds – March 21, 2016
10. Murren CJ, Auld JR, Callahan HS, Ghalambor CK, Handelsman CA, Heskel MA, Kingsolver J, Maclean HJ, Masel J, Maughan H, Pfennig DF, Relyea RA, Seiter S, Snell-Rood E, Steiner UK, Schlichting CD. (2015) Constraints on the evolution of phenotypic plasticity: limits and costs of phenotype and costs of plasticity. Heredity. 115: 293-301. DOI: 10.1038/hdy.2015.8
9. Atkin, OK, KJ Bloomfield, PB Reich, MG Tjoelker, GP Asner, D Bonal, G Bönisch, M Bradford, LA Cernusak, EG Cosio, D Creek, KY Crous, T Domingues, JS Dukes, JJG Egerton, JR Evans, GD Farquhar, NM Fyllas, PPG Gauthier, E Gloor, TE Gimeno, KL Griffin, R Guerrieri, MA Heskel, C Huntingford, FY Ishida, J Kattge, H Lambers, MJ Liddell, CH Lusk, RE Martin, TC Maximov, AP Maksimov, Y Mahli, BE Medlyn, P Meir, LM Mercado, N Mirotchnick, D Ng, Ü Niinemets, OS O’Sullivan, OL Philips, L Poorter, P Poot, IC Prentice, N Salinas, LM Rowland, MG Ryan, S Sitch, M Slot, NG Smith, MH Turnbull, MC VanderWel, F Valladares, EJ Veneklaas, LK Weerasinghe, C Wirth, IJ Wright, K Wythers, J Xiang, S Xiang, J Zaragoza-Castells. (2015) Global variability in leaf respiration in relation to climate, plant functional types, and leaf traits. New Phytologist. 206 (2) 614-636. DOI: 10.1111/nph.13253
8. Heskel MA, Greaves HE*, Turnbull MH, O'Sullivan OS, Shaver GR, Griffin KL, Atkin OK. (2014) Thermal acclimation of shoot respiration in an Arctic woody plant species subjected to 22 years of warming and altered nutrient supply. Global Change Biology. 20(8) 2618-2630. DOI: 10.1111/gcb.12544
7. Murren CJ, Maclean HJ, Diamond SE, Steiner UK, Heskel MA, Handelsman CA, Ghalambor CK, Auld JR, Callahan HS, Pfennig DF, Relyea RA, Schlichting CD, Kingsolver J. (2014) Evolutionary change in continuous reaction norms. The American Naturalist. 184(4): 453-467. DOI: 10.1086/675302
6. Heskel MA, Bitterman D*, Atkin OK, Turnbull MH, Griffin KL. Seasonality of foliar respiration in two dominant plant species from the Arctic tundra: response to long-term warming and short-term temperature variability. (2014) Functional Plant Biology. 41(3): 287-300. DOI: 10.1071/FP13137
5. Heskel MA, Atkin OK, Turnbull MH, Griffin KL. Bringing the Kok effect to light: A review on the integration of daytime respiration and net ecosystem exchange. (2013) Ecosphere. 4 (art98) .
4. Heskel M, Greaves HE*, Kornfeld A, Atkin OK, Turnbull MH, Shaver, GR, Griffin KL. Differential physiological responses to environmental change promote woody shrub expansion. (2013) Ecology and Evolution 3 (5): 1149-1162. DOI: 10.1002/ece3.525
3. Kornfeld A, Heskel MA, Atkin OK, Gough L, Griffin KL, Horton TW, Turnbull MH. (2012) Respiratory flexibility and efficiency are affected by simulated global change in Arctic plant. New Phytologist 197 (4): 1161-1172. DOI:10.1111/nph.12083
2. Griffin KL & Heskel M. (2012) Breaking the cycle: How light, CO2, and O2 affect plant respiration. Plant, Cell and Environment 36 (2): 498-500. DOI: 10.1111/pce.12039
1. Heskel MA, Anderson OR, Atkin OK, Turnbull MH, Griffin KL. (2012) Leaf- and cell-level carbon cycling responses to a nitrogen and phosphorus gradient in two Arctic tundra species. American Journal of Botany. 99, 1702-1714 DOI: 10.3732/ajb.1200251
Patterson AE, Arkebauer R, Quallo C, Heskel MA, Li X, Boelman N, Griffin KL. Temperature response of respiration and respiratory quotients of sixteen co-occurring temperature species. Tree Physiology.
Heskel MA, Atkin OK, Montgomery RA, Reich PB. Warming and species range mediate the temperature response of respiration in plants at the temperate-boreal ecotone. Target journal: Functional Ecology
Heskel MA, Tang J. Daytime leaf carbon exchange varies with season, canopy height, and temperature: Implications for ecosystem fluxes in a temperate deciduous forest. Target Journal: Tree Physiology
Heskel MA. Practicing scientific values and skills in Environmental Science courses. Connecting Ecojustice Research and Teaching: Narratives from the Field. Eds: Rivera Maulucci MS, Callahan H, Pfirman S. Environmental Discourses in Science Education, Springer International. Draft with editors, anticipated publish date Fall 2019.